Complaint Process

We hope your experience at Bristol is always rewarding. However, if a situation develops that you feel obliged to report, please reach out to the appropriate contact below.

Safety Issues

For violations of the law including assault, vandalism, alcohol/drug use, stalking, or if you just don’t feel safe, contact the Campus Police at extension 2218.

Accessibility Issues

For accessibility concerns, contact the ADA Compliance Officer at extension 2379. To request accommodations to access programming, contact Disability Services.

Discrimination Issues

If you feel discriminated against because of race, creed, color, religion, natural origin, age, sexual orientation, gender, disability, or veteran status, contact the Vice President of Human Resources/Affirmative Action Officer at extension 2194.

Academic Issues

For academic Issues, start with your professor. If the issue isn’t resolved or you can’t reach your professor, make an appointment to see the Dean of the Division in which the course is taught. If you are unsure of whom the Dean is, contact the Academic Affairs office at extension 2185.

Student and Staff Issues

For concerns involving other students’ conduct including violations of the campus conduct code or to complain about a staff member or another student, contact the Vice President of Students at extension 2150.

Formal Process

Most problems can be solved informally, but there is a formal Student Grievance Procedure which is outlined in the Student Handbook. Contact the Vice President of Students at extension 2150 for more information.

State Process

The Massachusetts Department of Higher Education attempts to provide an avenue for informal resolution of matters concerning institutions. The Department cannot require an institution to take any specific action in a mater and cannot provide legal advice. You can contact the Massachusetts Department of Education.