Finding Author Background Info
In addition to books on an author, there are several other resources for finding background information.
Search library biographical databases to find lists of complete works for your author.
The library has a number of biographical databases. Start with the one below by running a search on your author's full name.
Biography Resource Center w/ Marquis Who's Who
Full text database with Biography Resource Center containing over 427,000 biographies from quality reference sources plus articles from hundreds of periodicals chosen for their biographical content. Search for people based on one or more personal facts such as birth and death year, nationality, ethnicity, occupation or gender, or combine criteria to create a highly-targeted custom search. Marquis Who’s Who is an added and integrated module containing more than 1.4 million thumbnail biographies.
Browse the Reference Section to find specific and specialty bibliographies about your author.
Browsing additional specialty reference books might help you turn up some information on current or lesser known authors. Some reference books to get you started are below.
- Modern Latin-American fiction writers
REF PQ 7082 N7 M55 1994
- French novelists, 1930-1960
REF PQ 671 F68 1988
- Native American writers of the United States
REF PS 153 I52 N39 1997
- Native North American literature : biographical and critical information on native writers and orators from the United States and Canada from historical times to the present
REF PS 508 I5 N38 1994
- Major British writers
PR 1109 H35 1959 V.01 & V.02
- Twentieth-century American nature writers : prose
REF PS 366 N36 T94 2003
- Nineteenth-century American fiction writers
REF PS 377 N56 1999 V.202