SAILS, Learning Resources Center's online catalog contains all the books and other materials that the Library purchases. Use it to search for a specific author or title or to compile a bibliography on a specific topic. The Learning Resources Center uses Library of Congress Subject Headings. To find books on a particular subject, use the Keyword search option. Then look at the subjects under which it has been cataloged to find additional items on the subject.
Massachusetts Virtual Catalog
The Virtual Catalog is the easiest way to get a book if you can't find it in the SAILS online catalog. The Virtual Catalog is the combined catalog of Bridgewater State College, CLAMS Library Network, Central/Western Massachusetts Automated Resource Sharing, Inc.(C/W Mars), Fenway Libraries Online (FLO), Merrimack Valley Library Consortium, MetroBoston Library Network, Minuteman Library Network, North of Boston Library Exchange (NOBLE), Old Colony Library Network (OCLN), SAILS Library Network (SAILS), University of Massachusetts, Boston, University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth, University of Massachusetts, Lowell, and Westfield State College
After doing a search in SAILS, you can click the "Search the Virtual Catalog". You can also click on the link for the Virtual Catalog to log into the virtual catalog directly.
The Virtual Catalog allows library users in good standing to:
Listed below are some of the titles available in Credo Reference under the heading of "Astronomy".
The Illustrated Dictionary of Science
The Illustrated Dictionary of Science is a well-organized dictionary of science covering all the major scientific disciplines: physics, chemistry, biology, ecology, medicine and physiology, and the Earth sciences (e.g. Polaris, retrovirus, trephine, vapor). Its entries also explain terms belonging to the history of science and include brief biographies of important scientists (e.g. Curie).
Diagrams and artworks illustrate key concepts of science, making the dictionary particularly suitable for use in the classroom or as family reference. The lavishly illustrated entries explaining such topics as the solar system, plant evolution, skeletons.
- Many encyclopedia entries (from abberation to ZZ Ceti star) authenticated by a team of respected academics
- Colour illustrations, photographs, artworks, and tables
- Star Maps created by Wil Tirion
Collins Dictionary of Astronomy
For over 25 years we have been tracking the growth and developments in astronomy in this dictionary. For this new edition, the fifth in the book's life, we have completely reviewed and updated all the existing entries, from A0620-00 to XUV astronomy, and have added around 200 entries to reflect recent advances in astronomy and related fields. The book will provide a valuable resource both to those studying astronomy at school or university and to the many enthusiastic amateur astronomers.
Philip's Atlas of the Universe
A comprehensive guide to astronomy and space exploration
- A spectacular and informative account of our Solar System and its place within the Universe beyond
- Includes the Cassini-Huygens mission to Saturn and Titan
- Many colour images
- Complete star atlas section for the practical astronomer, with whole sky maps and seasonal locator maps by Wil Tirion
- Topographic maps of the planets and their major satellites, using data from space probes
- Complete map of the Moon, with descriptions of the major observational targets
- Constellation maps showing galaxies, clusters and nebulae as well as stars